This week’s free download comes from Mother Goose. It’s a coloring page and sound recording of Little Boy Blue Little Boy Blue…with the addition of a special verse – Little Girl Green.
Why Mother Goose? Sharing these classic rhymes:
- encourages children to be readers by modeling reading, giving children character references, and phonemic awareness
- increases vocabulary…(didn’t we all learn “curds and whey” from Little Miss Muffet?)
- encourages rhythmic development in language and in general – important for athletic performance, writing, public speaking, and other empowering skills
- activates memorization skills – by memorizing brief nursery rhymes we learn how to memorize
- increases social cognition as an adult or older caregiver recites the nursery rhyme
- develops fundamental music skills by learning short songs
- and most important – it’s joyful! We build memories, deepen relationships – discovering new things about ourselves and the children in our care as we sing or recite, listen, and color together.
So enjoy this memory-making bedtime tip and build your bedtime playlist by downloading the free coloring page and sound recording below.
Do you have memories of a family member sharing a Mother Goose rhyme? Tell us about it!